As you probably know, I'm pretty concerned about the environment and want to find ways to live in a more environment-conscious way. Here are some ideas to live a more eco-friendly life. Remember not to be overcome with perfectionism and to do whatever little you can. It will make a difference!
1. Install CFL bulbs in your home
2. Use glass bottles. Plastic bottles end up in land fills
3. Cut down/ eliminate plastic bags. Carry a cloth/jute bag to the supermarket for groceries, re-use the same plastic bag to line the dustbin instead of throwing it out with the garbage. I'm also thinking of using cloth bags to pack shoes (when travelling) or keep the shoe boxes and pack them in the boxes. Think of all the different ways in which you use plastic bags and try to find ways of eliminating them. I'm thinking too!
4. Be mindful about switching off lights, fans and other appliances when you're not using them. See whether you can reduce your usage of lights, fans and air-conditioning. While we're wuite careful about power at home, a lot of people in office leave lights and fans on or use the A/C even when it's not really needed. I've been prowling about switching off appliances whenever I find a room empty and trying to get them to switch off the A/C during meetings wherever possible. I also switch off the lights in my corridor at home every night.
5. Do not use paper towels/tissue. Carry a hand towel or handkerchief with you instead.
6. Use the stairs instead of the elevator
7. Cut down on your usage of processsed food and try to buy food which has as little wrapping as possible. This is something that I want to start doing but haven't even made a beginning on.
8. Travel by train/bus rather than by flight.
9. Do not litter. Ever.
10. Use public transport or a small car with high fuel efficiency. I'm waiting for a good electric vehicle or hybrid car to enter the market. If it does, the first car I'll own will be an eco-friendly vehicle.