Thursday, August 14, 2008
1. Install CFL bulbs in your home
2. Use glass bottles. Plastic bottles end up in land fills
3. Cut down/ eliminate plastic bags. Carry a cloth/jute bag to the supermarket for groceries, re-use the same plastic bag to line the dustbin instead of throwing it out with the garbage. I'm also thinking of using cloth bags to pack shoes (when travelling) or keep the shoe boxes and pack them in the boxes. Think of all the different ways in which you use plastic bags and try to find ways of eliminating them. I'm thinking too!
4. Be mindful about switching off lights, fans and other appliances when you're not using them. See whether you can reduce your usage of lights, fans and air-conditioning. While we're wuite careful about power at home, a lot of people in office leave lights and fans on or use the A/C even when it's not really needed. I've been prowling about switching off appliances whenever I find a room empty and trying to get them to switch off the A/C during meetings wherever possible. I also switch off the lights in my corridor at home every night.
5. Do not use paper towels/tissue. Carry a hand towel or handkerchief with you instead.
6. Use the stairs instead of the elevator
7. Cut down on your usage of processsed food and try to buy food which has as little wrapping as possible. This is something that I want to start doing but haven't even made a beginning on.
8. Travel by train/bus rather than by flight.
9. Do not litter. Ever.
10. Use public transport or a small car with high fuel efficiency. I'm waiting for a good electric vehicle or hybrid car to enter the market. If it does, the first car I'll own will be an eco-friendly vehicle.
Friday, May 2, 2008
The qualities I want in a man:
1. A good human being - a kind, caring, loving, affectionate person, has a generous and giving nature, is considerate of others. He is honest, decent and fair-minded, has integrity and character.
2. Emotionally healthy and strong, a good listener, likes himself and is confident but unassuming.
3. A true kindred spirit, my likeness. We are very alike and compatible. We are made of the same stuff, cut from the same cloth. We know and understand each other so well. He feels the same way I do about important things.
4. Likes and gets along with my parents and I like and get along with his parents. We feel very comfortable and 'at home' in each others' homes.
5. Is from a similar social/cultural background. The boy next door. A true Bangalorean in spirit.
6. Attractive, has a nice voice and speaks well. Charming and a good flirt. Kisses well. Really attracts me and gives me butterflies. Is insanely attracted to me and thinks I'm beautiful.
7. Sexually experienced and great in bed. We are really compatible sexually and have great sex!
8. Bright and intelligent and knows a lot of stuff.
9. Interesting and fun. We have great conversations and can talk for ages without getting bored or running out things to say. We are also comfortable doing nothing and sharing silence. We have deep, intellectual conversations and also lighthearted, goofy ones. We have so much fun together - it's a blast. We love spending time together and look forward to it.
10. Has a great sense of humour, entertaining and a good mimic. Makes me laugh like crazy and laughs at my jokes.
11. Musically talented, sings well and/or plays a musical instrument.
12. Is talented and likes acting, reading and writing and movies and music. We have similar tastes in books and movies and love to read/watch movies together. He loves old movies and children's literature.
13. A homebody, enjoys indoor activities and relaxing at home. His lifestyle is similar to mine.
14. A true feminist, egalitarian and does not believe in gender stereotypes.
15. Idealistic and down-to-earth and wants to live a simpler, slower-paced, more old-fashioned way of life. He doesn't show off about money, is not materialistic or a workaholic. He values family and makes us his No. 1 priority.
16. Responsible and hard-working and knows how to manage money.
17. Admires me tremendously in all the important ways and is completely blown away and impressed with me. He sweeps me off my feet, I admire him so much. We are so proud and glad to be together.
18. Believes in me and my talents and encourages and supports my dreams. Is my cheerleader and wants the best for me.
19. Comforts and supports me when I'm down. He is my rock. My best stay and comfort.
20. We really 'click' and connect deeply emotionally. We are comfortable being ourselves, revealing our deepest thoughts, feelings and life story. We share a passionate love and deep connection. We are madly in love and blissfully happy.
Wednesday, April 2, 2008
Prices certainly have increased. But then so have salaries. The kind of money available in metropolitan India for anyone even remotely well-qualified is . We are able to afford cars, travel, luxury goods, and even homes waaay before our parents and grandparents could. Then why are people dissatisfied? I think it's because of a growing sense of entitlement and materialism. Everyone wants "the good life" and what's more, feels deprived if they can't have it. It's the sense of deprivation that I can't understand and what's more don't sympathise with.
You would think that otherwise intelligent people would realise what they're doing to themselves and stop it. I believe that cliched though it may sound, money does not buy happiness. I'm not saying that one should have no financial goals whatsoever. But there is a difference between feeling, "I have enough, though I'd like more" vs. feeling "I'm underpaid", "I could be so much happier if I made more", "It's not fair". It's the difference between being rich and feeling rich. It is difficult to ever be rich because the more one gets the more one's aspirations and expectations increase. However, if you feel that you are rich, it frees you from a lot of heartburn and worry. I hope I'll always feel rich.
1. I want to be happy and positive and optimistic, filled with joy and laughter and looking forward to each new day
2. I want to be in a happy, loving, passionate, fulfilling relationship with the right man for me
3. I want a successful and fulfilled acting career in movies
4. I want a close group of friends that I see often, who care about me, get me and are there for me.
5. I want to develop my mind and talents to the fullest and to receive admiration, appreciation and recognition for them from the world at large
6. I want to be popular, liked and accepted wherever I go
7. I want to own and live in a lovely well-run home with my family, in a nice area
8. I want to write a novel
9. I want to live a slower-paced, balanced life with enough time to savour each aspect.
10. I want an excellent wardbrobe and book collection